Sunday, December 30, 2007

Our Lady of Rapture


I Got to shoot some new portraits on Christmas weekend. This is the first one I finished. I also got a few artbooks on Chirstmas morning. I received books about Jan Saudek and Loretta Lux, and also got Twilight: Photographs by Gregory Crewdson and Graphis Photography Annual 2007. among the books I enjoy the one about Jan Saudek the most. It's an enormous book with images spanning his photographic career. I've looked before at Jan Saudek's work on his site*, but being able to see his work large and up close is entirely different then seeing images online. His work is a real inspiration for the pieces I'm creating right now and the book is really helping me refine my own style as well as borrow from his.

The idea that began the work on this image was when I was thinking of a mistress or seductress that would fit in this world that I'm creating. After the shoot though this image stuck with me above all the others and seemed to capture a moment of pure ecstasy and of course rapture. It reminds me a lot of Edvard Munch's Modanna. I chose red for the dress to inspire temptation and lust from the viewer and the wall was colored to contrast it and complement it. Blush was added to the cheeks to emphasize the overall feeling. I really enjoyed how this one turned out and only hope that future images can meet this type of mark.

*some images on Jan Saudek's site may be offensive to some people, view with care and not at work

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very intriguing picture...makes you want to know more.

Anonymous said...

Looks good, have you tried this with some different glow colors to check the effect? I think a red glow would really look good.

Rob said...

I haven't tried a red glow because I really wanted to background to contrast the dress to bring the figure forward. I did try some other colors though and found that this combination worked the best.